Myanmar is a major exporter of pulses, beans and oilseeds. With its proximity to major importers India and China, abundant natural resources and a large labour force, the country has established itself as a major player in international markets.
- In 2018, total pulses production was at approximately 4.6 Million Mt.
- The export value of pulses in 2018 was US$527 million. This value was almost twice as high in 2016 before the import restrictions imposed by its main trading partner, India.
- In 2011, Myanmar was the largest producer of sesame seeds, the third largest producer of mustard seeds, and the fifth largest producer of groundnuts.
- Production of beans and pulses accounts for 36% of the total sown area of the country.
Main export markets
The country expects to further develop its exports to Europe and the Middle East in the coming years. Prior to 2016/17, India was Myanmar's largest buyer of dried pulses, accounting for 65-83% of Myanmar's total dried pulse exports over the previous 10 years. Since the introduction of import restrictions by India in 2016/17, India's share of domestic exports has fallen, mainly to China, the main importer of oilseeds.
Other important, though smaller, customers in Asia include Thailand, Taiwan, the Republic of Korea, Singapore and Japan. In Europe, the country exports mainly to the United Kingdom and Belgium. The country intends to further develop its exports to Europe and the Middle East in the coming years.
Main export products
Among the main products exported by Myanmar are:
- Black gram dried, vigna mungo, green gram dried and vigna radiata exported mainly to China and India for a total value of US$367.68 million in 2018.
- Pigeon pea dried exported mainly to India and Australia for a total value of US$ 67.1 million in 2018.
- Chickpea dried exported mainly to India and China for a total value of US$ 18.9 million in 2018.
- Soybean dried exported mainly to Taiwan for a total value of US$ 0.74 million in 2018.
- Sesame exported mainly to China and Thailand for a total value of US$0.56 million in 2018.
- Groundnut exported mainly to India and China for a total value of US$23.47 million in 2018.
A leading sector
In 2018, total pulses production was at 4.6 Million Mt and the export value was US$527 million.